Keep Austin Beautiful Environmental Educator
Keep Austin Beautiful seeks a part-time Educator for our government-funded virtual and in-school programming. Education presentations will be taking place in virtual format until further notice.
Keep Austin Beautiful works with schools to teach youth about recycling, composting, and water quality. The primary objective is to promote environmental stewardship through inquiry-based learning and student engagement. The ideal candidate will be able to foster a positive learning atmosphere that promotes a respect for sustainability and the natural environment while serving as a positive role model to students.
The Environmental Educator will be trained in the Keep Austin Beautiful curriculum, virtual education practices, and education programs. The individual will be provided time to research and review environmental education curricula to prepare for weekly activities. Position will be 90% virtual with up to 10% in-person for the foreseeable future.
Facilitate Keep Austin Beautiful’s virtual and in-school education programming for elementary, middle, and high school aged youth which includes but is not limited to:
- Leading virtual activities and presentations for Generation Zero (Zero-Waste) and Clean Creek Campus (water-quality focused) programs
- Supporting virtual field trips for Clean Creek Campus
- Serving as a liaison between schools and Keep Austin Beautiful
- Tracking and reporting programming numbers and other relevant data
- Creating a positive and enthusiastic learning environment
- Engaging both students and teachers
- Assisting with additional education projects and attending team meetings
Additional duties include but are not limited to: supporting the Education Programs Manager on additional projects, program outreach, and curriculum development, and supporting other Keep Austin Beautiful programming.
Must be well-organized and willing to learn, moderately comfortable with Outlook calendar, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Drive, able to work independently, lift 30 pounds, and carry multiple supplies regularly.
- Experience teaching and/or working with youth (K-12)
- Must have own reliable transportation and clean driving record
- Applicant must pass a background check
- Flexible and able to work independently and in team settings
- Proficiency teaching and leading activities through virtual platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Microsoft Teams
- Familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge about environmental awareness, outdoor education, solid waste, water quality, gardening, or other environmental topics
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish with children and adults strongly preferred
- Experience teaching middle and high school youth is a plus
- Degree in education, environmental studies, conservation, ecology, sustainability, or general science strongly preferred
Times, Days, and Term of Employment: Up to 25 hours per week. Monday through Friday (9am-4pm) with occasional evenings and weekends. Start date: January 5, 2020
Pay & Benefits: $15-$18 per hour commiserate with experience, for up to 25 hours per week. As a part-time position, health, dental and retirement benefits are not provided. Keep Austin Beautiful does provide a progressive work environment, as well as mileage and cell phone reimbursement.
Application Process: Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Environmental Educator in the subject line. No phone calls, please! Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only complete submissions will be considered and receive a response. Applications will be open through Sunday, November 29, 2020.