Community Engagement Manager
Keep Austin Beautiful, a nonprofit organization with a mission to inspire and educate all Austinites to volunteer together, beautify green spaces, clean waterways and reduce waste every day, seeks a Community Engagement Manager who is a leader in volunteer management to support the organization’s community engagement goals. The Community Engagement Manager leads the team that mobilizes thousands of volunteers each year, spearheading community engagement programs that engage individuals, corporate partners, and civic groups to take action to improve their waterways and green spaces. Responsible for the implementation of strategies that mobilize and inspire Austinites to volunteer, donate, advocate and lead, the Community Engagement Manager is a key member of the leadership team and reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates a re-engagement plan for each community engagement program that follows Austin Public Health and CDC guidelines for healthy and safe interactions.
- Manages strategies to engage all Austinites in opportunities to support Keep Austin Beautiful’s community goals. Includes designing, implementing and evaluating innovative individual and corporate engagement services and experiences.
- Oversees existing cleanup, beautification, and volunteer programs including Keep Austin Beautiful Day, Adopt-a-Street, Adopt-a-Creek, Clean Lady Bird Lake, and Community Cleanups.
- Builds strategic partnerships with key partners and stakeholders, including the City of Austin’s Resource Recovery Department, Parks and Recreation Department, and Watershed Protection Department and fosters strong partnerships with corporate volunteer leaders.
- Manages program budgets, oversees program tracking and reporting, and supervises the community engagement team.
- Manages City of Austin Cleanup & Beautification contract requirements including attending required meetings and preparing and submitting reporting requirements in a timely manner.
- Manages implementation of episodic group volunteer experiences that support community goals and the goals of corporate partners. Includes oversight assigned elements of project management.
- Manages community engagement-related technology processes to support organizational customer relationship culture, including customer relationship management (CRM) and technology software related to developing and registering volunteers for projects. Includes sharing data to inform development of engagement strategies.
- Collaborates with the fundraising team to align community engagement and fundraising programs. Design and lead strategic outreach and communications to engage and fortify relationships with current and prospective funders in collaboration with the development team.
- Works with the development team to track grant reporting.
Desired Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- A Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, communications, public relations or a related field plus three years of experience managing programs and supervising staff is required. One year of relevant experience may substitute for one (1) year of the required education up to a maximum for four (4) years.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in volunteer management, community organizing, corporate community relations, project management or other related areas required; three years’ experience preferred.
- Driver’s license and valid transportation required.
- Experience with GivePulse, Gravity Forms, and Little Green Light a plus.
- Technology skills including expertise with Microsoft Office and database management; willingness to learn new applications and identify innovative ways for technology to support organizational objectives.
- Project management skills: ability to multitask, problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and to create systems and processes.
- Requires excellent knowledge, skills and abilities in data analysis and insight generation, translation of complex issues into actionable efforts.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities, and able to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions.
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate effectively both written and oral. Spanish language proficiency preferred.
- Exceptional customer service orientation in all tasks and activities, even while at times under pressure.
- Solid relationship management skills enhancing internal organizational relations and external community interactions.
- Strategic thinker who understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Knowledgeable of Austin’s diverse communities and the challenges underrepresented communities face in access to clean and safe green spaces
Hours: This is a full-time position, which may require occasional work on evenings and weekends.
Benefits: Keep Austin Beautiful offers a progressive and flexible work environment, health care and dental benefits, paid vacation and sick time, a 403b retirement plan with employer match, and mileage and cellular phone reimbursement. Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Process: Qualified applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing 1) their qualifications and experiences 2) salary requirements and 3) how they learned about the position to email@example.com. The subject line should read Community Engagement Manager – Last Name. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. The posting will be open until the position is filled. Only complete submissions will be considered and receive a response. No phone calls, please.
Keep Austin Beautiful is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The organization is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. All employment decisions, including, without limitation, decisions regarding recruitment, selection, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, advancement, corrective action, discipline, discharge, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, are based on individual qualifications and/or other legitimate business factors, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age (40 and over), disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Part-Time Keep Austin Beautiful Environmental Educator
Keep Austin Beautiful seeks a part-time Educator for our government-funded virtual and in-school programming. Education presentations will be taking place in virtual format until further notice.
Keep Austin Beautiful works with schools to teach youth about recycling, composting, and water quality. The primary objective is to promote environmental stewardship through inquiry-based learning and student engagement. The ideal candidate will be able to foster a positive learning atmosphere that promotes a respect for sustainability and the natural environment while serving as a positive role model to students.
The Environmental Educator will be trained in the Keep Austin Beautiful curriculum, virtual education practices, and education programs. The individual will be provided time to research and review environmental education curricula to prepare for weekly activities. Position will be 90% virtual with up to 10% in-person for the foreseeable future.
Facilitate Keep Austin Beautiful’s virtual and in-school education programming for elementary, middle, and high school aged youth which includes but is not limited to:
- Leading virtual activities and presentations for Generation Zero (Zero-Waste) and Clean Creek Campus (water-quality focused) programs
- Supporting virtual field trips for Clean Creek Campus
- Serving as a liaison between schools and Keep Austin Beautiful
- Tracking and reporting programming numbers and other relevant data
- Creating a positive and enthusiastic learning environment
- Engaging both students and teachers
- Assisting with additional education projects and attending team meetings
Additional duties include but are not limited to: supporting the Education Programs Manager on additional projects, program outreach, and curriculum development, and supporting other Keep Austin Beautiful programming.
Must be well-organized and willing to learn, moderately comfortable with Outlook calendar, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Drive, able to work independently, lift 30 pounds, and carry multiple supplies regularly.
- Experience teaching and/or working with youth (K-12)
- Must have own reliable transportation and clean driving record
- Applicant must pass a background check
- Flexible and able to work independently and in team settings
- Proficiency teaching and leading activities through virtual platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Microsoft Teams
- Familiar with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge about environmental awareness, outdoor education, solid waste, water quality, gardening, or other environmental topics
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish with children and adults strongly preferred
- Experience teaching middle and high school youth is a plus
- Degree in education, environmental studies, conservation, ecology, sustainability, or general science strongly preferred
Times, Days, and Term of Employment: Up to 25 hours per week. Monday through Friday (9am-4pm) with occasional evenings and weekends.
Pay & Benefits: $15-$18 per hour commensurate with experience, for up to 25 hours per week. As a part-time position, health, dental and retirement benefits are not provided. Keep Austin Beautiful does provide a progressive work environment, as well as mileage and cell phone reimbursement.
Application Process: Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Environmental Educator in the subject line. No phone calls, please! Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only complete submissions will be considered and receive a response. Applications will be open until the position is filled.