Keep Austin Beautiful Educator
Keep Austin Beautiful seeks a full-time Educator for our in-school and afterschool youth programming. The ideal candidate will be able to foster a positive learning atmosphere in both English and Spanish that promotes a respect for the natural environment while serving as a positive role model to students.
Keep Austin Beautiful works with schools to teach youth about recycling, composting, resource management, as well as ecology, water conservation, sustainability, and more. The primary objective of our youth education programming is to promote environmental stewardship through hands-on activities and service learning projects.
Facilitate Keep Austin Beautiful’s school day and afterschool education programing for elementary, middle, and high school aged youth which includes but is not limited to:
- Leading daily activities, presentations, and service-learning projects for Generation Zero as the program’s lead educator
- Carrying, loading, and transporting multiple supplies to and from various locations across Austin daily
- Developing and revising curriculum and associated materials
- Serving as a direct liaison between schools and Keep Austin Beautiful
- Tracking and reporting programming numbers and other relevant data
- Fostering a positive and enthusiastic learning environment that engages both students and staff
- Serving as support for service learning projects and field trips of other programs
- Providing support for afterschool programming middle and high school teacher(s)
- Supporting the Education Programs Team on additional projects, program outreach, and curriculum development, as well as other Keep Austin Beautiful programming
- 1+ years of experience teaching youth (K-12) in formal and/or informal setting on topics including recycling, composting, waste management, environmental awareness, outdoor education, water quality, gardening, or other related topics is required
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish with children and adults is strongly preferred.
- Degree in education, environmental studies, conservation, ecology, or general science is preferred
- Flexible and able to work independently and in team settings
- Well organized
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Literate in Microsoft Office software
- Must have own reliable transportation and clean driving record
- Applicant must pass a background check and submit proof of driving record
Hours: This is a full time position, which requires work on some evenings and weekends.
Pay & Benefits: Keep Austin Beautiful offers a progressive work environment, full health care and dental benefits, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time, mileage reimbursement, and salary commensurate with experience. Salary range for this position is $30,000-$34,000 per year.
Application Process: Please complete the online application (required). No phone calls, please! Position open until filled. Interviews will likely be conducted on a rolling basis with the position to begin in late September/early October.
Education Programs Manager
Keep Austin Beautiful seeks an Education Programs Manager to manage in-school, after-school and resource education programs. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the environment and excellent people, communications, project management, curriculum development, teaching, and supervisory skills.
Keep Austin Beautiful provides educational programming to teach youth about recycling, composting, resource management, as well as ecology, water conservation, sustainability, and more. Keep Austin Beautiful youth education programming serves 12,000 students annually with an objective to promote environmental stewardship through hands-on activities and service-learning projects.
This position is responsible for the overall management of day-to-day programmatic operations, the organization’s educational curriculum, new program development, and evaluation of all Keep Austin Beautiful education programs as well as management of all associated staff. The Education Programs Manager is responsible for the educational integrity of all programs and works with the other program staff to set the programmatic goals for the organization. The Education Programs Manager also serves on the leadership team of the organization and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Oversee all aspects of Keep Austin Beautiful education programs, including:
- managing the program budgets to ensure high value and efficient use of financial resources in program delivery
- providing monthly and annual reports for internal and external reporting and invoicing
- evaluation of program goals and objectives
- maintaining safe and effective operations
- Create a positive work environment to recruit, train, and supervise the education staff.
- Update, maintain, and develop educational curriculum and take an active role as an educator leading presentations as needed to ensure program goals are met.
- Schedule and coordinate school presentations and service projects.
- Represent Keep Austin Beautiful and assume an active leadership role among select local professional associations, related to environmental education and/or science, outdoor or nature education.
- Ensure that program design and implementation remain clearly aligned to the organization’s mission and strategic advancement, fulfill grant requirements, and respond to changing trends in environmental education.
- Maintain education online communications through WordPress, Gravity Forms, and MailChimp. As well as work with the communications team for social media and blog content.
- Lead the ongoing development and strengthening of partnerships with schools and community organizations and seek to develop new partnerships to secure and recruit school participation.
- Develop and execute a plan in conjunction with the leadership team to secure financial support of the organization through grants, foundations, individual and corporate contributions, and to facilitate media opportunities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental science, or a related field. Teacher certification a plus but not required.
- At least two years’ experience in management and supervision including hiring and supervising staff, as well as program administration, managing budgets, and building partnerships.
- At least two years’ experience teaching youth of varied ages, adults, and professional educators in formal and/or informal settings on topics related to water quality, solid waste, native plants, urban ecology, and/or outdoor awareness.
- Experience and knowledge in service-learning projects specific to restoration, water quality, solid waste, and/or litter abatement.
- Working knowledge of educational institutions, including K-12 schools, and environmental or outdoor education; teaching credential and/or experience in classroom settings. Familiarity and involvement with Austin’s environmental education community (CINCA, ESAC, and LATT) a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook required. Experience with WordPress, Gravity Forms, MailChimp, QuickBooks, and Salesforce a plus.
- Experience managing government contract details including annual work plans, regular invoicing, and subcontractor projects is a plus.
- Successful leadership track record; proven leadership ability.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Ability to communicate clearly with a variety of school and community partners.
- Bilingual – Spanish speaking – preferred but not required.
- A flexible schedule is required, including some evenings and weekends.
Hours: This is a full-time position, which may require work on evenings and weekends to support events.
Pay & Benefits: Keep Austin Beautiful offers a progressive work environment, full health and dental benefits, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation, sick time, and mileage reimbursement. Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
Application Process: Please complete the online application (required). No phone calls, please! Position open until filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis with the position to begin in late September/early October.