Keep Austin Beautiful encourages you to clean, beautify, and educate right where you are!
We understand the need for continued learning, awareness, and action during this ever-changing time and are doing our best to adapt programming to accommodate out-of-school settings, multi-age levels, and group sizes. Our team is working diligently to create fun and engaging activities for every student and adult to do at home.
We will be updating this page often, and adding new resources like videos and lesson plans for you to enjoy. Sign up here to receive our special updates and announcements
Here you will find a collection of free resources available for you to use in your own space and with your own materials. These lessons are TEKS-aligned and have been adapted specifically for you to engage your youth right at home or in your own backyard!
Interested in a different topic? While our Activity Kits are currently unavailable, all of our curricula is available for free and upon request! If you are interested in receiving other curriculum, please let our education team know by filling out this form here.
(Click on an image below for the lesson plan.)
Below is a list of apps that you can use to explore the world around you! If there are any applications that you have found to be awesome in the classroom that are not on this list please let us know.
Plant and Animal Identification
- iNaturalist – Record your outdoor observations, share with fellow naturalists, and discuss your findings
- PlantSnap – Snap pictures and identify local plants and flowers
- Audubon Bird Guide – Go birdwatching with a trusty field guide of more than 800 species of North American fowl
- Austin Recycles Game – Learn about the City of Austin’s waste diversion program by sorting waste in this gaming app
- Litterati – Identify and map the litter around you
- Miniwalla and the Forest Story – A book-style app that weaves together stories of animals, the environment, and personal development
- Bin the Trash Recycling Game – Complete puzzles and activities focused on recycling
- Texas Invasives – Become a citizen scientist by submitting invasive species observations directly into the Texasinvasives.org statewide database from your mobile device
- Science Journal – Catalog all of your unique sights, sounds, and observations in nature
- Night Sky App – Identify stars, planets, and constellations
For those educators and parents looking to expand their library of environmental resources and activities, we have digital toolkits that combine technology and outdoor learning. These toolkits are perfect for providing hands-on activities close to home and around your neighborhood.