Large-Scale Bi-Monthly Cleanups
Since 2009, Keep Austin Beautiful has organized large-scale cleanups of Lady Bird Lake every other month. We train volunteer leaders to conduct cleanups at over 10 locations, both along the shoreline and on kayaks and stand-up paddle boards.
Below are our dates for the upcoming year:
- Saturday, August 12, 2023
- Saturday, October 21, 2023
- Saturday, December 9, 2023
- Saturday, February 10, 2024
- Saturday, April 20, 2024 (In conjunction with Keep Austin Beautiful Day)
- Saturday, June 8, 2024
Please note that registration for these events opens three weeks in advance. To be notified when registration is open, subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Know Before You Go
When joining us at Clean Lady Bird Lake, please keep the following in mind:
- Be aware that toxic algae blooms can occur in Lady Bird Lake. Whenever you’re around natural bodies of water, remain vigilant.
- Recognize that zebra mussels are invasive and widespread in Texas waterways. Let us know if you see any zebra mussels during your volunteer activity.
- Be able to identify poison ivy, oak, and sumac. Identifying these plants is essential for a safe cleanup.
- Hydrate and take precautions to prevent heat-related illnesses. Consult this guide for tips on recognizing and addressing heat-related issues.
Can we volunteer as a group? Yes! We are working to expand our reach and would love to accommodate as many volunteers as possible. For now, groups of 10 – 20 people are welcome as long as all members register before the event. Groups larger than 20 can participate, but there is no guarantee for placement, which is based on site availability and volunteer caps.
Can I reserve spots for the cleanup? Keep Austin Beautiful works on a first come, first served basis. If you plan to volunteer as a group, it’s best to register early, as we cannot guarantee placement together.
What do we need to bring? Site leaders and boat donors provide all necessary cleanup materials and water crafts (unless it’s a BYO-Boat site). Please bring a FULL water bottle, and dress for the day’s weather.
Are pets allowed? We don’t recommend bringing pets to the cleanup, as Lady Bird Lake and the surrounding trails are generally quite crowded.
Can I track this as a community service opportunity? We can create a letterhead of completion once we’ve verified your participation in the event.
Are there any age restrictions? Each site description has restrictions & guidelines, should any apply.
Can we bring our own boat? We do have BYO(Boat) sites that you are welcome to register for. Please keep in mind that you are required by law to have a flotation device on hand at all times once you’ve docked off of the shore.
Will the cleanup still happen if it’s raining? We host our events rain or shine, as long as the weather does not pose a direct threat to your safety. *Should we have to cancel, a notice will be sent out 48 hours in advance*
- Ben Bishop
- Linda Bramblett
- Capital Cruises Staff
- Mark Fagan
- Linda McCoy
- Natalie Meyersick
- Aubrea Rudder
- Susie & Jesse Shockley